What is Serve Athens?
Serve Athens, an initiative of ServeUGA, provides ongoing opportunities during the fall and spring semester for UGA students to meet community needs through service.
ServeUGA is currently partnering with seven local non-profit organizations: Action Ministries, Athens-Clarke County Animal Control, Brooklyn Cemetery, Books for Keeps, Learning Ally, Hands on Athens, Project Safe, and UGArden. Transportation is provided for students who participate. See below to sign-up for current Serve Athens opportunities.
By participating in Serve Athens volunteer opportunities, we intend for our participants to be able to:
- Analyze the impact their actions make on the local community through post-service reflection
- Explain the mission of the community partner they are serving with by engaging in intentional service
- Evaluate the relationship between UGA students and Athens community members by participating in direct service and engaging in critical dialogue
- Understand the importance of serving alongside one another through collaborative service work with peers and community partners
How to Serve
Check out the links below to sign up for service events and opportunities.
- Athens-Clarke County Animal Control works toward protecting animals from inhumane treatment.
- Bigger Vision of Athens works to provide a safe and comfortable place for those in homelessness in Athens, Georgia, as they navigate the path towards sustainable housing.
- Books for Keeps works to improve children’s reading achievement by addressing barriers related to the accessibility and appeal of reading material.
- Brooklyn Cemetery works to educate the public of the historic African American cemetery, as well as to beautify and preserve the landmark.
- Hands On Athens works to repair and revitalize historic Athens homes of low-income residents.
- Learning Ally is a non-profit organization dedicated to transforming the lives of struggling learners through an educational solutions lens.
- Project Safe works to end domestic violence through intervention, support services, advocacy, and education.
- UGArden promotes sustainability and healthy eating through educating students about organic practices and sharing the harvests with those in need. When you serve with UGArden, you will help weed, remove brush, cut down trees, and other outdoor projects to assist the garden.